Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Quick Update

Hi pals,

Know it's been awhile since I wrote anything in here, but to tell the truth, I've lacked a little bit of the motivation to do it because, honestly, I'm tired from work.

So, the steering committee is going to meet next Tuesday and it consists mostly of people who are, are pursuing education as or are filling in for librarians.  This means I have to rewrite the brief I wrote.  Also, no word yet on whether or not their will be a powerpoint capability, so I'm trying to get up the motivation to write a new powerpoint as well.

There's going to be a postmortem of sorts for the climate change conference on Thursday.  I am looking forward to a pleasant meeting where I stay quiet pretty much.  I learn a lot in these situations, but I find that I have nothing to contribute.  The conference was a good experience for me, and I'm hoping that I'll be able to glean some important lessons from this meeting.

Got taken to the launch of SKN Math Olympiad for the public school system.  I must say... Chief Education Officer knows how to give a fiery, podium banging speech.  Also, I'd like to mention this is a country where they invoke the name of god in these sorts of things as a matter of course... as well as meaning it and believing in it.  It got a little uncomfortable, but not overmuch I suppose.  I'm used to a much more secularized and quiet version of christianity in Canada.  In the end, it doesn't bother me much, though I contributed nothing, sat there and watched.

I would have much rather been cataloguing, or better yet, finish writing my policy docs that I want done before the end of the week.

In other news, I went to Nevis, but they don't let you in Alexander Hamilton's house, which was a bummer.  It's really quite beautiful in Nevis, but I didn't get to see a lot of it because I had to go back to St. Kitts before it got too dark.  I ate a bloody good meal in a local cafe and they had TBS on the TV.  Figures.  I'll definitely go back once more while I'm here, but much earlier in the morning I think.  That way, hopefully, I will avoid all the panhandlers, who are really persistent.

Speaking of TV, I don't actually have a functioning TV down here, and I must say... I ain't missing it.  I can download the one or two shows I actually do like and I find I'm watching a lot more documentaries and podcasts.  Also, my skill in strategy games has increased.  Excellent.

I think I'll go to bloody point this weekend.  It's the site where the French and the English teamed up to wipe out the Caribs.  They say there are some cave paintings there.  I would like to see them very much.

I'll write more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment