Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Wherein I Network.

Today was a good day folks of mine.

Ok, so today one of my temp co-workers and I got the collection arranged by theme.  It's not shelving by call number, but at least all the Edu 01's through SP 74's are grouped together as they should be (with enough room on the end of the shelf to accommodate any that have fallen through the cracks) and I must say the collection looks a helluva lot neater.  I pulled a few from the shelves to fix cat n' class errors (All my fault, yes) but today's real shining accomplishment was going to the College Library today to meet with the librarian there (you may have noticed - No Names.  Yes, well, people should expect a little privacy in other people's blogs methinks).  It was really cool, she wanted me to show her the finer points of LibraryWorld.  She isn't fond of manuals I learned, and like many in our craft, finds little time to spare for it.  If you show me a underworked librarian, they aren't doing their job or are doing it really really well.  There is no middle ground.

Anyway, back to the LibraryWorld.  I really enjoy this ILS, but I enjoyed showing the finer points of it and talking up the craft even more.  Being able to really talk to a fellow professional about what we do is such a break from the usual.  I also showed the Delimited Text Translator on MARCEdit, which is made by p. Reese from Oregon State University Libraries (check it out, even if you aren't a cataloguer or in tech services, it's good to know, and makes things easy).  We had a very productive meeting, I got to show off my skills and I just enjoyed talking about MARC and having people understand what the hell I'm talking about. I really hope they get it online, she seemed very interested in having an ILS in place before she retires so there is something for her successor to hit the ground running with.

Also, GREAT NEWS, as I was cataloguing DVD's today, I stumbled upon a DVD with over 600 photos on it from the Climate Conference I worked out... which meant, pictures, of me, doing my thing and looking all suited up.  This should make up for me not taking any pictures of it.  Won't the family be pleased?

haha.  I must say, I am really pleased with the way things worked out today.  I think... I think I've gotten over the hump.

The main collection room will be rearranged according to the floor plan I drew up this month too!  Mostly, it's just to make more room in the centre of the room to make getting to the printer/copier easier, but still... I feel pretty chuffed about it.

That's about it for now though.

No comments:

Post a Comment