Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Ok, back online

A very brief one tonight folks.

So I am finally back online, my internet was out for two weeks and since I use WebDewey and LibraryWorld to work from home...

*Screams of Anger*

... ok, better now.  This was a real pain in the ass that I medicated by going to the public library to read more often, and that was just to deal with entertainment issues.  I finally got it back online from the lazy bones internet company, who apparently have no idea of the concept of "speedy service" and not "3 days after you tell use about it", after letting my landlord know... about 9 days after it was already out.  Why the delay, well she was out of the country and her phone doesn't get service off the island and the staff at her office didn't know who to get in touch with (though they should have).

I am somewhat mollified by her decision to knock $50 USD off my rent, but still, the lost productivity meant I had to go into work earlier and stay later (my tummy was a rumbling some early evenings) to keep up and still my workload suffered... somewhat badly.

It's boiling hot down here all the time and I gave my fan to one of the new workers (she's middle-aged and dresses conservatively... I bet she's boiling too), so I'm covered in sweat everytime I get home, it's really taking a toll on my good shirts, plus... its HURRICANE SEASON!!!!

Ok, that was a *little* overwrought, but it's going to be raining a lot more these days and I don't like that, mostly because I brought no rain clothes with me (it didn't occur to me at the time).

On the work side of things... they are actually chugging along quite well.  The data entry staff are working out alright, I have to fix a lot of mistakes they make and go over some stuff again and again, but it still saves me time on rather time consuming tasks, so I am very down with that and I got the floor plan worked out (presenting on it tomorrow).

I've also started working on the CD's, DVD's, VHS and microfiche (our books and serials were way more numerous) and I hope to have those done soon, hopefully in two weeks.

My processing supplies arrive in two and 1/2 weeks, so then we can start in on the labeling work and barcoding, always fun.  In a Zen sort of way, I'm actually quite serious, you can get into a nice groove in labeling books and it is a very good way to break up the monotony in Tech Services.  I spent some time in Tech Services as a Student Assistant and I like to think of getting a little back to where I 'came up' as it were.

I also have to start training whoever is going to be the main circulation staff member...  One of our secretaries is overworked in my opinion and another doesn't exactly have the self-motivational qualities to be effective in that role.  *sigh* Decisions, decisions.  I may advise for one of the data entry clerks to be taken on in that capacity, but I don't think that is an ideal situation either.

Oh well, when you're the johnny on the spot (contractually) you've got to make the decisions in this regard.  I'll think of something.

For now, I'm focusing on getting those last few books and serials in, and then getting the CD's and DVD's ready for data entry.

I'm very happy with things now.  Yes, things are super busy, but that is adventures in library science for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment